The Heart Of A Mother

Mike and I decided to move from Hong Kong to live here twenty years ago.  When we broke the news to my mother, it was clear that she was not thrilled.  However, she never asked us why, nor did she try to stop us.

At the end, the only thing my mother asked for was that we stayed at her place the night before we left.  And she wanted me to share the bed with her.  I complied without contesting.  We had a very long talk before going to sleep.  That was when she finally told me this . . .

Many years ago, when I was about 11, Mama and my aunt went to see an old, distant relative who studied fortune telling.  This old uncle could predict people's future using people's names, their birth date and time.  The two young mothers eagerly wanted to find out what was awaiting their children.

When it came to be my turn, he told my mom that I would never be a criminal or gangster.  "Is it because she is so good natured?" Mama asked.  "Hmm.  She is too much of a chicken.  She is no criminal material.  Gangs wouldn't take her." Not even gutsy enough to be a gang member?  Dang!  There goes my backup profession.  That was really some grim prediction for a child.

"This child is not going to marry a regular person," Old Uncle noted.  "Not a regular person?  What do you mean?  What kind of extraordinary person will it be?" Mama asked.  "Hmm.  Perhaps, not Chinese.  Maybe a foreigner." Old Uncle added, "And they will move far away."

As my mom revealed to me that evening, "Someone told me about this day many years ago.  I did not want to believe it.  I cannot even read and write Chinese, let alone English.  Why would my daughter marry a foreigner?  It sounds ridiculous.  So, I didn't say anything to you lest his words influence you.  And then, one day, your brother leaked to me that you were going out with Mike.  My heart sank.  And then you and Mike got married.  But, at least you were living and working here.  I told myself that maybe he only got it half right.  I kept hoping that this day would not come, until you announce that you are moving to the US.  I realize it is really your destiny  There is no way I can stop it.  I have to let you go." Tears streamed down my mama's face.  She held my hands and tried to squeeze out a brave smile.  It was a painful but memorable moment.

"You remember what I got for you as dowry?  The necklace and the bracelet.  I chose to give you a little bird as a pendant on your necklace.  Know why?  Because I know one day you will grow your feathers and fly far, far away.  And here you are, my little bird.  You got all your feathers.  You may take off tomorrow.  Just remember: We may be thousands of miles apart, but our hearts will always stay close to each other like ever."

It has been more than twenty years, but my memory of that conversation is still vivid, like it was yesterday.  Mama has many flaws like everybody else.  Yet, her ability in keeping such things sealed in her heart for so long is quite amazing.  When the time comes, her ability to let go is phenomenal.  Only a mother can do such incredible things.  For that, I am forever grateful.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts