Try a Little Kindness

Cottier Sensei spent about a week visiting us in 2003. However, because of his achy knees, he did not go sightseeing anywhere.  Most days, he just stayed at home with me to talk.

One afternoon, he decided to take a walk to town alone. After an hour and a half, he returned and told me he had a cold beer and an order of really crispy fries in town. "Oh, and I also went to the pharmacy to buy some dental floss and a Hershey bar!' he said excitedly, with twinkles in his eyes like a little boy.

Sensei went to CVS pharmacy to look for some dental floss. Before he could find dental floss, he ran into a gigantic Hershey bar instead. "Oh, it is massive! We don't have such massive Cadbury bars in the UK! I am being a naughty boy!" He could not resist it. But, he still needed his dental floss. So, he went to the cashier for help.

"Are you ready to pay, Sir? We are having a special. If you add one penny, you can get two Hershey bars!" the nice young lady said.

"Another candy bar? No! I don't need two. This is already too much for me." Sensei waved his hand at the young lady.

"But, for just a penny, you can get one more.  Why wouldn't you want it?" The young lady was both surprised and confused.

"Oh, I am an old man. I don't need so much candy. This will do me." Sensei looked at the young lady's face for a moment, and asked, "But, do you want it? Will you like to have a Hershey bar? I can pay an extra penny and give it to you. Will you like that?"

"Really? You will give it to me?" The young cashier's eyes were glowing with disbelief.

"Sure! But, before I get you a Hershey bar, would you kindly fetch some dental floss for this old man, please? They have been hiding from me."

The happy young lady dashed out at light speed and returned in just seconds with some dental floss in her hand.

On this day, an old man got his dental floss and a massive Hershey bar. A young cashier got a Hershey bar as her tip for the day. And I got a lovely story to remember my dear teacher with.




Comments

Popular Posts