In With the New

We just attended the United States Aikido Federation summer camp a week ago.  As usual, Aikido students from all over the country and even abroad come together to share a week of intensive training.  Classes are taught by various senior instructors.  It is quite an event.

It is always a delight to see Aikido friends from other dojos.  As a matter of fact, I met quite a few of them at previous summer camps!  This is pretty much the only time in a year that we get to see each other.  Therefore, summer camp is almost like a big reunion.

I was quite happy to see Anna from Atlanta at camp again.  Two years ago she took her shodan test.  We ran into each other in the hotel soaking tub.  She recounted how we met six years before:  She was a newbie going to summer camp for the first time.  The big, hunky partner of little Anna was shoving her around.  I, the older black belt woman, stepped in and said to the big guy, "Hey, she is staying here for the entire week.  She does not need to have her body injured.  Please be gentle with her."  The man backed off, and Anna survived the camp.  "You saved me!" she said to me.  To be frank, I  do remember Anna, but I did not recall my uninvited intervention.  "Wow!  Was I already so full of sh_t six years ago?" We all broke into laughter.  Anna is now a confident young black belt who chucks people around.  She also did a good job being one of the ukes during the randori class demo.

Summer camp is, indeed, a great time to meet newer students.  This year, I ran into Al and Nathan from Texas.  They have only been practicing for about a year.  Without the company of their instructor or any sempai from their dojo, the two of them just came to summer camp for the whole week by themselves.  It really takes a lot of guts to do that.  I and my friend, Darrell, were in a group with Al and Nathan for randori practice.  They were a little lost at first, but it did not take much for Darrell and me to help them pick up speed.  In the days that followed, I practiced a few more times with these two enthusiastic Texans.  After every demonstration, Al would jot notes about the techniques in his little notebook.  I was really impressed by their courage and diligence.

Another person who made an impression on me is Nan from Boston.  She has been practicing for three years.  It is such joy to see young women like her on the mat.  As Cottier Sensei used to say, because women tend to be smaller and less muscular than men, they do not have as much muscle strength to use.  As a result, they are more likely to train good techniques.  Technical proficiency comes with practice.  Nan is an intelligent, cheerful and kind person.  She already has the right mind.  When chatting outside of practice, I shared with her, "It is real easy to beat somebody up.  It takes a lot more courage to be kind and gentle."  Every once in a while, when she was tempted to use muscles, I would appeal to her: "Hey, be a gentle person!"  She would immediately regroup herself and start again.  I have the feeling that she will become very good soon.

It is so interesting to me that, when I was a newbie, I felt I was so insignificant.  I thought the senior people were the most important people for the art.  As I look at the Aikido crowd now, my perspective has changed.  I realize how important the newbies actually are.  They are the future of Aikido, not us, the old folks.

Gambatte yo, Newbies.  The perpetuation of Aikido depends on you.






Comments

Popular Posts