Decisions, . . .

Many times, people asked me why I practice Aikido (and martial arts in general). Yes, I grew up in a not very good neighborhood and I had a lot of fist fights in school. I do not recall, however, the desire to learn to fight so that I can beat them or take revenge.  Frankly, I don't recall if I really had a very clear reason for starting Karate.  If asked now, I will say, one of the many reasons I continue is that martial arts have given me a peaceful mind.

Some of our students at Capitol Hill Aikikai tease me by calling me the "Dojo Thug".  I sometimes joke with them by saying, "If we fight, someone may get hurt, and it is not going to be me."  They know I have the ability to whip them up, but, happily, they also know that I will never hurt them intentionally.  And I definitely do not look forward to having to use my skills outside of the dojo.

A friend once asked: "Then, why do you even bother to learn martial arts if you plan to never use it?"

Good question.  I think the difference between knowing and not knowing martial arts is that I have the choice.

One time, a junior male student who is always eager to test "his stuff" pairs up with me.  As usual, I practice with him at the pace and strength that I think suits his level.  He attacks; I throw him with a technique.  I believe we are practicing shihonnage.

On this one, as he is going down, he yanks on my arm real hard. My body has learnt not to resist people's pull or push.  Without thinking, I drop my weight towards his center, and my hands start going for his throat.  It is all happening within seconds.  When my brain finally realizes what is happening, I summon all my might and manage to stop myself by pushing against my partner's upper chest.

This is one of the scariest aikido moments I ever had.  I could have killed someone.  I am glad I reacted fast enough to avoid it.  What is upsetting is that the young man looks at me excitedly and says, "I almost got you!  Didn't I?  I got you!"  Obviously, he has no idea what happened.

To this day, I still find it hard to practice with this person.




Comments

Popular Posts