A Reiki Story

We finally managed to get Chuck and Penney to come visit.  Mike met Chuck back when he worked in Colby College.  Mike was a professor and Chuck was a research librarian.  The two soon became friends.  I credit it to Mike's being weird and Chuck's being curious.

Chuck almost never just take vacation.  When he visits friends and family, he almost demands that there be some kind of building project he can help with before he agrees to go.  During this visit, he helped us trim the new wooden windows.  He also built storage compartments underneath our staircase.  It was a great opportunity to learn some woodworking skills from him, but I could not do much because I was having a lot of pain on my left arm.  My shoulder was so weak that I could not even pick up a mug.  I was feeling miserable.

Chuck asked what it was about.  "May I scan you?  I am a Reiki practitioner."  He held his hand in front of my shoulder.  Suddenly something inside of me scurried away from his hand like a scared little animal.  The force was enough to make me stumble backwards.  "We have work to do on you," Chuck noted instantly.

I heard of Reiki before.  It sounded to me like some new-agey BS.  "What does it mean by energy manipulating technique?  It does not make any sense."  That was my impression.  When Chuck told me he would give me a Reiki session, though, I thought I would give it a try.  Mostly, I have a lot of faith in Chuck's judgement.  Plus, I am curious.

I remember lying on the couch with my eyes closed with Chuck sitting next to me.  He never touched me during the process, but I could clearly feel his presence.  Not long into the session, I felt enveloped by a very gentle warmth.  When Chuck placed his hands over my head, my head somehow "blossomed" like an asparagus opening its scales from the bottom up, all the way to the top of my head.  It is the weirdest experience ever!

I can testify that I definitely felt better after the session.  I could raise my arm without problems.  My once droopy left shoulder was even with the right.  Strength returned to my left hand.

That evening, we brought Chuck and Penney to watch Aikido practice.  As I was going up those steps that I have gone up and down thousands of times, I was startled by my speed.  It was as if I was moving too fast for myself.  Later that evening, Sensei used me for uke.  He threw me; I sprung back up almost instantaneously.  He did it again and again for six times.  Sensei's eyes were filled with amazement.  With a huge smile, he whispered in my ear, "Whatever you did, it was great!"

Before they left, Chuck urged me to seek out Reiki practitioners in the area.  "Here, look!" pointing at an ad in the local paper, "There is a Reiki share.  You should go."  I tried to brush him off because I was still not very convinced.  "I will be fine.  Don't worry."  I tapped on his lap with my hand.  "Does it mean you will go?"  Chuck stuck out his index finger and ran it across in front of my finger tips.  "You plucked my ki!!!" I shouted.  Immediately, I realized what weird thing I had said.

Chuck did not even flinch a bit.  Instead, with a smirk on his face, he twitched his puppy eyebrows and said, "Yeah, I did.  It's there.  Why not?"  It felt like he just plucked some invisible strings that came out of my finger tips!  It really freaked me out.

As you probably guessed, I did go to the Reiki Share.  I met a bunch of Reiki masters, one of whom became my teacher.  And I joined the league of Reiki practitioners.

A lot of times, no matter what you say, you just cannot convince a stubborn person.  When the moment is right, however, all it takes to knock open a hard head is a little finger tip.




Comments

Popular Posts