Dunning-Kruger Effect

In his class, Takeguchi Sensei demonstrates techniques that he wants us to try and then he walks around the mat to watch us practice.  Depending on how we do, he may stop class to make corrections or emphasize points on which he wants us to focus.  The way he does it plays out in several different ways.

There are times, before we even get four repetitions in, Sensei already claps his hands.  When this happens, we know we all do horribly bad.

Sometimes he notices someone is doing something funky.  He would go from pair to pair to check on how other pairs are doing.  He usually goes from junior students to the more senior students.  If even the senior students do not get it, he claps his hands, and we all sit down to watch him show it all over again.  Honestly, it makes me feel really bad when I am the last person he looks at before he claps his hands.

There are also times, after watching us for a while, Sensei goes to a corner by himself and starts to practice with his invisible partner.  "I think I get it now," is his standard line when he remerges from the secret corner.  That usually means there are things Sensei does without thinking, but we are not getting it.  "How do I do it?"  He clarifies it to himself with his invisible partner, and now he is ready to explain it to us.

One thing I have learnt from Sensei is the way he points out mistakes in class: "People are doing XXX," or "Everybody is doing YYYY."  Honestly, it is extremely rare that absolutely every student makes the same mistake.  Phrasing it this way, we can avoid pinpointing the comment to particularly individuals and hurt their feelings -- even though, at times, it is quite clear to whom the comment is directed.

The interesting thing is that, more often than not, the students we are NOT talking about start critically reviewing their movements and look for changes, whereas the ones to whom the comment is for just sit back and glance around comfortably, as if they are saying, "See?  You, people!  Listen up!"

I have encountered a student who likes to say to me "I already understand" when I go over to give corrections to his pair.  Maybe I am long-winded with my explanations.  But, really?  You already understand?  Why do you think I come over to you?  If you already understand, why are you not doing it?  It makes me think of the "I know, I know" kind of response.  I am almost tempted to say to him "I am so sorry to have interrupted.  My bad, my bad."

It is really not easy to be a teacher.




Comments

Popular Posts