Just Because

At most Aikido practices, students pair up: one person plays uke, the other plays nage.

Why does the uke attack the nage?  It is because the uke is the uke.  Uke is the attacker, so he plays his role and attacks.  The nage performs the technique and throws or mobilizes the uke.  Why?  It is not revenge or a match.  It is only because the nage is the one to response to the attack with the technique.  It is absolute.  It is clean.  It is pure. It happens just because.

One time I taught a whole class on chokes.  It took a while for people to get used to being really close to each other.  Even then, people are very reluctant to apply a choke on their partners.  "You are overly nice and polite," I tease them.  "This is not helping you or your partner learn."

I try to appeal to them that choking their partners is not a nasty thing.  All they have to do is to maintain a good posture and then apply the choke cautiously and steadily.  The moment their partners tap, or that they can feel it is tight enough, they can gently let go.  It is not the most comfortable thing for the partners, but it does not cause them harm.  Still, I am met with many doubtful faces.

At this point, all is left for me to do, is to go around to let people experience it themselves.  Every student, men or women, old or young, big or small, gets to be choked.  Some students react by squinting and squirming.  Some hilariously throw their eyes wide open and let their tongues hanging out.  Yet, nobody gets hurt.  After I let go, they all laugh hysterically.

"Are you okay?  You didn't get hurt, did you?" I ask.  "I did choke you all real tight.  It was uncomfortable, but you didn't feel like you were in danger, did you?"  Students smile and shake their heads.  I go on to ask,"What did you feel of me when I was applying the choke?  Was I angry?  Was I mean?  Was I excited?  Was I happy?"  People start contemplating.  Finally, someone breaks the silence, "There was nothing.  I didn't feel any emotions."  "Okay.  But was I careful?"  "Yeah, it was very even and steady.  I was not afraid at all." the student adds.

"Choke each other cautiously and lovingly" becomes the motto when we practice chokes.

Being a ferocious attacker does not make you a bad person.  It is just the part you play during your training.  I strongly encourage Aikido students of all levels to continue to work on their attacks so that they develop better body control and sensitivity.  Your sharp attack is what pushes your partners to become better and stronger.  Having stronger partners, in turn, help you improve.  It is a win-win for all.

Be a good uke.  Give your partners a good attack.  Make sure you deliver it cautiously and lovingly.  ❤️




Comments

Popular Posts