Add Oil

Recent years, there seems to be a shortage of new students in Aikido.  As the older generation continues to fade away, there is not sufficient fresh blood to sustain dojos.  Many theories emerged on what contributes to the apparent lack of interest in the art, but nobody seems to be able to reverse the trend.

The late Kenneth Cottier Sensei was once a professional Aikido teacher in Hong Kong in the early 70s.  He once recounted how difficult it was to maintain a professional dojo.  Every day he watched the door closely to see how many students come though.  When there was a full mat, it was a good day.  When a student did not show up for a few days, he started worrying.  "Are they dropping out?  Have I done anything wrong?"  In order to make ends meet, Sensei felt the need to up with ways to attract new students.  He started marketing initiatives like offering students discounts if they bring a friend . . .

It did not take long for Sensei to notice his own change of behavior.  Instead of focusing on practicing and teaching Aikido, he was consumed by attendance.  "My whole motivation changed.  It was all about the money.  I need the money.  I need to pay rent and I need to eat!"  But he realized quickly that this was not a healthy pattern.  "O Sensei did not teach me Aikido so that I run an Aikido business.  This is all wrong!'  He soon closed the dojo and started looking for other work to support himself.  Ever since then, his income as an English teacher during the day subsidized his passion for Aikido in the evening.

At summer camp, I ran into an old friend who has a dojo.  As always, when Aikido instructors see each other, we greet each other with the question: "How's the dojo?"  Like everybody else, my friend is eager to find out how many students we have and the attendance,  "Dojo is fine.  We have about 12 to 15 students, but not everybody shows up all the time.  It's Washington DC, you know.  People move in and out.  It's the way it is."  My friend's eyes were all filled with envy, "I have only nine!"  It took less than two seconds for him to started venting about all the challenges in running his dojo.  "Students can say they want to see a movie or to have dinner with a friend and skip practice; I can't.  The teacher must be there.  People come to your dojo for you.  You have to be there for them,  It is a promise.  There is no substitute.  I never get to see my kids or to eat dinner with them during the week.  I don't have a family life."  I patted his back to show my sympathy.  After all, we are in the same boat.  I know exactly what he meant.

My dear friend went on. "When there are not enough students, I have to dig into my pockets to support the dojo.  I have put in so much money!  I am very lucky that my wife understands and is supportive."  Sure enough, we have gone through the same.  I chuckled and tagged along, "And people wonder what the hell you are doing.  Why are you doing this?  What is it for?"  "Yeah, yeah!  Exactly!  People think I am crazy," he sighed.  "People don't understand.  They just don't understand what we are doing here.  Someone has to do it, you know, but it is so hard . . . "

You bet you.  I know.  I really do know.

My personal theory about the shrinking Aikido population is that, given how polarized the society has become, the Aikido idealism is not quite in sync with the culture of the times.  It is hard to sell the idea of harmony and coexistence to people who only has contempt for people who oppose them.  Even though the Aikido idealism is exactly what the world needs right now, people just do not know it yet.  All we can do is to ride it out and wait for people to return.  You cannot make people want something they do not know they need.

To fellow Aikido instructors out there:  We share your pain and frustrations.  Please hang in there.  Keep going.  We are all in it together.  Be patient.  Chin up.  Things will get better.

In French, they say "Bon courage!"  In Chinese, we say "加油!Add oil!"






Comments

Popular Posts