Just When I Needed You Most

While walking around in a store for Christmas gift ideas. I came across a young couple with their little baby.  The daddy looks like a human wall -- tall, broad and hefty.  He must be at least 6 foot 5.  Behind him is the Mommy who is barely 2/3 of Daddy's size.  She looks tired, but seems to be enjoying a break to relax and browse around.  Occasionally, she glances over to Daddy to make sure everything is ok.

Daddy marches down the aisle with his chest up while holding the baby with his giant hand,  Pride was written all over his face.  It looks like a scene out of "The Lion King".

As we pass each other, he nods at me with a little smile.  "You have a lovely baby!" I smile back.  "Thank you.  He's my little man." Daddy says proudly.  The beautiful baby boy has locks with long, loose curls and soft, gentle eyes from his mother.  The little baby snuggles comfortably against his father's neck.  It is picture perfect.

"I love seeing big men holding little babies.  It is so wonderful.  I guess this is a new age of parenthood.  Back then, my father always said to us "Go to your mother!" because it was considered the woman's job.  I don't think he ever carried us around like this." I chuckled.

"Really?  Oh, I hold him whenever I can.  I change his diapers, bathe him and dress him.  I love doing it.  Every night I rock him to sleep so his mommy gets to rest," Daddy turns to give his wife a smile.  Mommy gives him a sweet, loving look back.

Our friend, David, always said he did not want to have children . . . until he became married.  David's son and daughter are almost old enough for college.  We visited them when the kids were little.  Every single evening, his baby daughter would cry unconsolably for an hour before she finally fell asleep out of exhaustion.  Both parents were visibly worn out,

"Has it been like this since she was born?  She is only ten moths old.  You still have a long way to go, David."  We tried to show some sympathy.  David, who was pacing around with the crying baby in his arms, looked at us with a big smile, "Yeah, she can be quite a handful.  But I really enjoy every single bit of it -- whether she is happy and smiley,  or when she is screaming at the top of her lungs like she is right now.  I wouldn't trade anything for it."  Looking at David's happy face, I have no doubt that he is honest and sincere.  Parents's love for their kids can be quite amazing.

Kids often throw tantrums because they feel really uncomfortable and miserable inside.  They cry, they scream because they are too young to know how to handle themselves.  They don't mean to give anybody a hard time.  They are just asking for help.  Often times, adults misunderstand this behavior and get angry with the kids.  Kids feel blamed and rejected just as they need the understanding and patience from their adults most.  This really pushes them all the way into the hole.

During this holiday season, I wish your airplane rides are free of crying babies and screaming toddlers.  Should that happen, may the kids belong to George Clooney and his wife so that you will be gifted with fancy noise-cancelling headphones, nice chocolates as well as an apology card autographed by the star.  But just in case a miserable child is throwing tantrum nearby, may we all spare a little compassion for the poor kid and have some sympathy for the parents.  After all, we all have been that screaming child . . .



Credit: www.getyourguide.com




Comments

  1. Oh Meipo this was perfect!! I loved reading it, I smiled through the whole thing. It is true, the love you have for your child, even when they are adults... ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts