The Logic of Orange Beef

My friend, Da Lin used to run a Chinese restaurant.  He vowed to offer good, authentic Chinese food to the American public.  Business was pretty good.

One of his regulars is a middle age lady who comes every Friday for lunch.  She does not need the menu.  Every time she orders the same exact dish: Orange Beef.

It is curious to Da Lin and his colleagues.  After years of serving her the same Orange Beef, they try to suggest other house specialties, but it was turned down every single time.

"Don't you get tired of eating the same thing over and over?  Wouldn't it be nice to try something new?  It's good to have varieties!"  Da Lin even made a "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed" offer -- if she does not like the chef's recommendation, he will take it back without charge.  In addition, he will give her a free order of Orange Beef.

"No, thank you.  I'd like my Orange Beef."

What is so compelling about that Orange Beef dish?  Why is she so insistent?

"You know, I REALLY enjoy Orange Beef very thoroughly.  Every time I eat it, it is 100% happiness for me.  I appreciate your good intentions, but you ned to understand my logic:  If you make me something just as nice, it, at the most, matches the 100% that Orange Beef gives me.  But if I don't like your dish, I am getting less than what I could have gotten from my favorite.  I come here once a week.  I only get 52 chances per year to spoil myself with Orange Beef.  Please don't take it away from me."

It sounded like a silly story when Da Lin told me about it years ago.  But then, as I get older, increasingly, I can appreciate the wisdom behind it.

One Saturday, we called our beloved neighborhood friend, Sara, to join us for dinner.  "Sorry, I can't," Sara said with a sigh.  "I have made plans with Lucy.  She called many times, so I agreed to go out with her."  Oh, well.  That's too bad.  I hung up and thought Mike and I would just have dinner by ourselves.

Less than half an hour later, the phone rang.  It was Sara.  "Hey!  Are you guys still up for dinner together?"  😳  Isn't Sara going out with Lucy?  "I changed my mind.  I called Lucy to cancel.  I thought about it after you called:  My life is so limited.  Why should I go entertain someone I feel lukewarm about, but then give up the chance to be with people I really enjoy?  I am free!  So, where are we going now?"

That evening, we shared a tasty pitcher of margarita and some delicious Mexican food.  I feel really honored to be considered "enjoyable company" by my friend.  It is such joy to be spending my limited time in this world with someone I truly like!






Comments

Popular Posts