Heart To Heart

After practice on Friday, as usual, the dojo crowd eat dinner together and talk over a beer.

"The Summer Camp dates are already out.  Anybody going?" someone asks.  Veterans of camp start explaining to newbies about what summer camp is like and share their favorite camp experiences.

One student recounts,"I met this awesome person from New York who is such a great partner to train with.  At one point, someone was trying to be mean.  This guy just came over and used one finger to take that mean person down.  That was so cool!"  Serious admiration for his sempai is written all over the student's face.

"Not everybody is so good to practice with, but when you find one person who you click with and you have a fun time, it makes your day.  And if you run into someone who is good and is willing to help you, it's like hitting a jackpot!"

The student next to me turns to ask me, "Do you have a favorite camp moment?"  "Me?  I have many favorite camp moments.  Like you, I have had many people help me over the years.  But great camp experiences come in many forms." I replied.

One year, I met someone named Abe from New Jersey.  I practiced one round with him briefly in the morning.  In the afternoon, just as a class was about to start, I saw him walk off the mat looking defeated.

"Hey!  Class is about to start?  Where are you going?  Joining us?"  Abe shook his head.  "I'd love to, but I am not sure if I can endure it.  I am still recovering from a major surgery.  I don't have the stamina.  Who would want to practice with someone like me . . . "  Abe's voice faded.  He looked down and shook his head.

"I don't know about other people, but I enjoyed training with you," I patted him on the shoulder.  "Do you want to practice?  If you are willing, we can be partners for the entire class.  We do whatever speed that is comfortable.  Wanna try?"  I extended my hand to Abe.  Abe gave me a big smile, "You'd practice with me?"  "Of course!  You set the pace."  He took my hand and off we went.

We hopped on the mat and became Aikido Siamese twins for next sixty minutes  We did not move fast, but we kept going at a steady pace.  There was no one technique that Abe could not do, despite his initial concern and hesitation.  We moved gently and smoothly.  It was an extremely enjoyable practice to me.

Since that encounter, every time I go to Summer Camp, I would always look for Abe.  I learn that he does not attend every year.  A couple years ago, we finally ran into each other in the hotel restaurant.  "Abe!  How have you been?"  Abe came to give me a bear hug.  "I am fine.  Everything is good!"  Indeed, he looked quite well -- way better than the last time I met him.  "I can't make camp this year.  I only come up to visit for the day.  I have other things to do, but I really want to see if you are here."  "Yeah?  I have been looking for you, too, Abe."

Abe squeezed my hands so tight.  I smiled and squeezed his hands back.

There are just as many reasons for people to attend Summer Camp as there are for people to practice Aikido.  Through Summer Camp, I have made many human connections like the one with Abe.  They are the main reason for me to keep going back to camp year after year.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts