When East Meets East

It is always a pleasure to see Endo Sensei.  He has taught me a lot and is one of the people who influence me tremendously.

On the second day of a seminar, as soon as we stepped into the dojo, I noticed Sensei was alone, stretching at a corner of the mat.  I promptly went to greet him.

Being raised in a traditional Chinese family, I stood about six feet away from Sensei and greeted Sensei out loud, "Ohayou gozaimasu, Sensei."  Given he is my teacher, I did not approach without his acknowledgement.

Sensei has always been nice and kind to me.  To my surprise, after one slight glance at me, he looked away and ignored me.  I was perplexed by the cold shoulder.  "What is going on?  Did I do something wrong?"  I thought I had been super polite and deferential to Sensei . . .

Just as I was wondering if I should continue to stand there or if I should just leave him alone, Endo Sensei waved at me, "Come.  Sit down here."  So I did.

"Miho, why did you stand there to talk to me while I am sitting here?"  Sensei looked at me with some stern eyes.  Before I could explain myself, he went on.  "You know, I am the teacher and you are the student.  It is very rude for you to talk to me from high up.  You want to talk to me, you should come here to sit with me.  Talk to me at my level."  He nodded with his lips tightened to stress the point.  "Mmm.  Go do it again."

I got off the mat.  I re-approached my dear teacher.  I got down on me knees respectfully to sit in front of him.  "Ohayou gozaimasu, Sensei." I bowed with my hands placed neatly in front of myself. "Ohayou gozaimasu." Sensei bowed back.  "Genki desuka, Sensei?" I asked if he was well.  Sensei finally smiled, "Yes, I am fine.  Thank you."  He waved to signal me to go get changed.

Sensei was not mad at me any more.  It was as if nothing had happened.

Despite the many common roots they share, apparently, there are many more differences between the Japanese and Chinese cultures than I knew.

Some think that my cultural background is just as valid and that my perspective deserves considerations as well.  In a different setting, maybe.  Yet, I am interacting with a Japanese teacher in an Aikido dojo that observes Japanese etiquette.  By all means, I should respect the Japanese way.

My teacher did not have to explain himself to me, but he did.  He showed me the preferred way and even gave me a chance to redo it.  In his own way, he already made concessions.  As a student, what else can I ask for?





Comments

Popular Posts