Give A Little Bit

I am a squirrel.

Yes, I am a human squirrel.  Maybe because I was one of those "hungry children of China", I have the habit of keeping an abundant stock of food at home.  My food-hoarding behavior has proven to be useful during this time.  Even so, the squirrel nest eventually runs low on flour after baking bread for weeks on end.

After the craze over toiler paper, people moved on to flour.  Not just bread flour.  It's any flour.  While a friend said she could not find yeast in California, we have a shortage of flour in the DC area.

I contacted my friend, Jane, who works at our neighborhood food co-op about flour.  Not only do they have no flour, I find out that many of her coworkers do not have face masks.

"How many do you need?  Mike and I just finished a new batch over the weekend.  Will 30 be enough?"

"The CDC just issued a new requirement that people have to wear a face mask to work starting tomorrow.  This is perfect timing!"  Jane is elated.

The next thing you know, I gear myself up to go to drop off face masks at the co-op before I hit other stores for provisions for the coming two weeks.

The co-op parking lot is close to empty.  The usual hustle and bustle feels like a distant myth.  From my car, I see a woman sitting on the metal stoop by the back door.  She is staring into her phone, but it is clear on her face that something other than what is on the screen is occupying her mind.

"Hello!"  I wave at her.

"What?" The woman turns to take a look at me.  Not so enthusiastic a response.

"I am here to see Jane," I reply.

"What for?"  She is still just glancing at me with the corner of her eyes.

"I am bringing fabric face masks for you all."  I open the bag in my hand to show her the masks inside.

"Really?"  Her face lights up.  "For us?"  She jumps right up to take a better look.  The despair in her eyes vaporizes away.

"Are you a member of the Co-Op?  My name is Claudia.  What is your name?"  It almost feels like a handshake moment.  Luckily, we both remember not to touch each other.

"Yeah, I'm a member.  My name is Meipo." I smile at Claudia, though I am not sure she can see it beneath my mask.  "Maybe you can help me hand the masks to Jane so she can share them with everybody?"

"Yeah, of course, I can.  Thank you." Claudia takes the bag with a big smile and disappears behind the door like a little whirlwind.

I go on to successfully get five bags of groceries for the two weeks to come.  People, like us, who can hunker down at the comfort and safety of our own home, are mostly concerned about our provisions and toilet paper.

Grocery store workers like Claudia and her coworkers are surrounded by groceries all day long, but they are worried, scared and unhappy.  At the end, it is a few face masks that make them feel cared for and it brings hope that they can continue to work in order to put food on the table.

I can sew fabric face masks.  So, in the last few weeks, I have been sewing face masks for those who can use them.  I never envisioned myself to be sewing masks every day, but as the saying goes, I gotta do what I gotta do.  For now, this seems to be the best use of my time and ability to protect my community.  I will continue to sew fabric masks for as long as they are needed.

And you?  What can you do?  What are doing to support your community, your people?




Comments

  1. Meipo, you are a gem. There needs to be more people like you in this world.
    I'm so blessed you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts