The Great Patriot

Friend:  The United States is the greatest country in the world.

Me:  How do you know that?

Friend:  Everybody knows that.

Me:  Really?  I didn't know that.

Friend:  What do you mean? 

Me:  Based on what do you make that claim?  Was there a secret competition I didn't know about?

Friend:  We don't need a competition.  Everybody knows that as a fact.

Me:  Did you ask the Canadians if they agree?  How about the French?  Or the Brits?  Australia is a pretty nice country, too.  What is their ranking?

Friend:  Those are fine countries, but America is the best.

Me:  Based on what criteria?  Maybe America is the greatest country to you, but when you make a general claim like this, it means any other country is, at best, the second greatest country in the world.  I think many people have problems with it.  

Friend:  So, you don't think that the US is the greatest country in the world?  

Me:  The US is wonderful in many ways, but we sure still have a lot of work to do.  Despite our wealth, many Americans are still living below the poverty line.  Our healthcare system is a mess.  Equality is a real issue.  Our educational system is ranking pretty low among developed countries . . .

Friend:  If you hate the US so much, why don't you go back to Hong Kong?  Renounce your citizenship.  Don't come back.

Me:  When did I say that I hate the US?  If I hated the country, I would not have become a US citizen.  

Friend:  Then why do you keep saying bad things about our country?

Me:  I did not make these things up.  These are real issues that the country is facing.  Bragging about the country all day does not make me a patriot.  To me, being patriotic means we are willing to take a hard look at ourselves, reflect on how to improve things and do it.  This is the only way to make our country truly a great country.  

My friend has a PhD.  He is a college professor.  He sees himself as a sophisticated intellect.

If this is how someone with such educational background thinks, how do you blame those who have less training?  

America, we really have a lot of work to do.




Comments

Popular Posts