The Rolling Thunder

G started aikido about the same time I did.  He was a medical student at the time.  Before long, the heavy workload of medical school took over this life.  By the time we met, I was a yudansha, and G was still an advanced beginner.  

G's enthusiasm for Aikido was hard to miss.  He came to every class that his schedule allowed.  He always got to the dojo early so he could get some extra practice before class and ask questions as soon as the instructor showed up.  He was a strong, chunky guy.  When he took a tumble, he rumbled across the mat.  I nicknamed him "The Rolling Thunder".  G took it as a badger of honor.

G enjoyed practicing with Mike and me.  "You guys do Diagnostic Aikido," he liked to say.  Every time he wanted to figure out why his techniques didn't work, or if he wanted to tighten up certain movements, he would come to us.  It is interesting to work with a doctor who is capable of systematically examine his own movements, and have the focus and persistence in drilling on fine body control.

"The title of MD is way overrated," G said one evening after practice.  It was clear that the many long shifts at weird hours wore on him.  ""If I could do it all over again, I would spend my time practicing Aikido.  That could have done much more good for me."  

"Really?  You are a doctor, and all I got is a belt!  You are using your knowledge and skills to help people everyday.  I can't save people the way you do with Aikido." I pat his shoulder.  "Nah.  You don't understand.  Being a doctor isn't really that glorious like people think."  

I really don't understand.  I have never been and probably will never become a doctor.  I have family members who are doctors, but I have only been a patient for many doctors.  They are my guardian angels.  They take care of me.  They saved me.  G makes me wonder: Do my doctors feel the way about their work?

With the birth of his second child, life, once again, made it impossible for G to come to Aikido.  I still remember the look in G's eyes when he made the announcement of the hiatus.

Fast forward a few years.  

A dojo friend fell ill.  Seriously ill.  He had stage IV renal cancer.  Out of desperation, I searched through my contacts on the computer to see who might be of help.  "G!  He is a urologist!"

I quickly emailed G about our friend.  It had been so long that I was not even sure if the email address was till any good.  Miraculously, within five minutes, I got a response.  It was him.  G still remembered us.

Without hesitation, he jumped into action and made connections so that our friend could be admitted to an NIH program.  Within days, our friend went from not knowing where to go to being treated by some of the best doctors in the country.

"Thank you for thinking of me," G said on the phone.  "Actually, I am on the way of relocating to Boston.  I am so sorry I cannot even say goodbye in person.  I meant to come by the dojo to see everybody before I go, but so many things happened . . . "  I could not help noticing a familiar sense of sorrow in his voice, as if life had, again, forced him down a path he was reluctant to take.

"I miss you all so much.  I wish I had a huge trailer so that I could carry all of you with me to Boston.  I really wish I could be together with you all all the time forever."  

It was almost eight years ago when we had the farewell over the phone.  I have not heard from G since.  Noisy motorcycles roars during the Memorial Day weekend reminds me of our very own Aikido "Rolling Thunder".  It never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Wherever you are, my dear G, I wish you happiness.  I miss you, too.

Update:  After writing this post, I tried Googling G again.  It was a "Family Circus" style process, but I found out he has moved to California.  After trying several invalid email addresses and disconnected phone numbers, I left a voicemail at a cell phone number that might belong to his wife.  Two days later, while we were having dinner, G called from work.  He has now three children, is quite happy at his new job and has been practicing Jujutsu.  After the call, he texted me family pictures, his address and email address.  Hopefully, we will never lose touch again.




Comments

Popular Posts