Small Tangible Happiness

Recently, for the first time, I watched the RTHK Talk Show -- a production by the Radio Television Hong Kong.  In that episode, four social science academics had a discussion about several popular expressions: their origins, what they mean and their implications.  小確幸 (shōkakkō), loosely translated as "Little Tangible Happiness", was one of them.

The expression was coined by Japanese writer Murakami Haruki.  In his 1986 essay "Afternoon in the Islets of Langerhans", Murakami illustrated the concept by describing a number of everyday incidents from which he derives small, instant, certain happiness.  They can be things as simple as eating a freshly-baked loaf of bread with one's hand.  Mundane things like laundering and folding new underwear, and stacked them neatly into a drawer.  Or simple pleasure like drinking a cold beer after a run.  

Little Tangible Happiness tend to be free or cost very little.  They are affordable and easily achievable.  When they happen, they are guaranteed to deliver satisfaction every time.   

American artist, Keith Knight, also celebrates little joyous moments like these with a special chapter in his comics, called "Life's Little Victories".   It is one of my favorite comics because I also treasure and enjoy such little things in life.

Keith Knight's "Life's Little Victories"

To me, it is part of the practice of "mindful living" -- live the moment, pay attention to details and enjoy little things.  However, as the hosts of the RTHK Talk Show explained it, sadly, the reason many young people nowadays pursue little happiness is that big happiness is just too hard to come by.  The younger generation do not see much prospect in their future.  Traditional big happiness like having a successful career, or being able to afford a nice home has become out of reach.  Even medium size happiness like a promotion or a fancy vacation feels so remote that the young people have lost hope.  For comfort, they turn to small happiness.  They rely on these easy and frequent consolation prizes to keep them going.

Here is a little happy story:

The other day, a package arrived at our house.  The address was correct, but the recipient name was unfamiliar.  It came from a pet supply company in Florida.  We decided to call the company to let them know.

"It's nice of you to call.  If you don't mind, you may just put 'Return to Sender' on the package and it will be sent back to us," said the friendly lady from the company.

"Sure, I can do that.  I have not opened the package, but it does not feel like anything substantial or expensive.  How much money do you make from this sale?  If I send it back and you re-send it to the correct recipient, wouldn't you be losing money?"  I tried to come up with an alternative to help them.  "Is it possible for you check the correct address and send me a mailing label?  If it is nearby, we maybe able to save you some time and money by doing just that . . . "

"Really?  You are willing to do that for me?"  The lady was overjoyed.  "Do you mind giving me your number?  I will call you right back."

Minutes later, she called, "You know what?  Actually, the house number is right, just the wrong block!"  I was astonished.  "Wait: You mean it is actually my state, my town and my street?"  "Sure, it is!" she announced gleefully.  Without hesitation, I offered to deliver the package for her.  The lady was elated.

Before dropping the package off, I double-checked: indeed, the recipient's last name matches that of our neighbors at that address.  It was returned to the rightful owner.  

I do not know if this qualifies as a "Little Tangible Happiness".  What I know is that it made the pet supplies lady very happy.  Because she was so happy, it makes me very happy, too.  I cannot help thinking: If we are willing to do more little kind deeds for each other, we can all enjoy more little happiness.  In addition, if you believe in ripple effect, the medium size happiness or even the big happiness may not be as remote and out of reach anymore . . . 





Comments

Popular Posts