The Greatest Christmas Gift Ever


Last week, Facebook reminded me of a post I made seven years ago.

********

So you think you still have many chances . . . 

A friend from Hong Kong once posted this "math" question for us to ponder.  Let me "translate" it into US English:

How often do you visit your parents?  And your grandparents?  According to the US Federal Government, there are 10 national holidays.  Even if you live near enough to bring your family to see your parents/ grandparents at every holiday, these senior members of the family only get to see you 10 times a year.  However, most of us don't get to visit that often.  So, maybe 3, 4 times a year at the most?

How old are your parents now?  And grandparents?  If your parents are in their 60s, how many more decades do you think they will live?  Let's say, they live to be 100.  You have 4 more decades.  Even if you see them 3 times a year, that means you get to see them only a dozen more times!  If you have grandparents in their 70s or 80s, you may have only a handful of times, particularly if you don't see them 3 or 4 times a year.

Seize your opportunity.  See your parents and grandparents more often.  Take your children to visit them.  Your grandparents may not get to see your kids graduate from high school.  At least let them hold the kids a few more times as babies, play with them as toddlers.  And the children will have good memories forever.  Give the precious gift of time.

********

I still remember why I made that post:  I realized that my in-laws were really getting old.  I began to feel the ticking of the clock.  I figured I needed to make the effort to go see Mom and Dr Jack more while I still could.  I was really hoping our nephews and nieces would read my post and take their children to see their great grandparents more often.

Read [What Do You Want For Christmas]

Fast forward to 2021 . . . 

For the first time in twenty five years, I do not have to worry about compiling a list for birthday or Christmas presents.  Not that I needed anything from Mom and Dr Jack, but it was as certain as the sun rising from the east, a card from them would arrive in the mail, and they would insist on giving me a gift to show their love, no matter what.  

"What can I tell them that fits their budget?  What would be fun for them, but is practical for my needs at the same time?"  It was quite a task.  Mom used to complain about my lack of ideas.  I used to fret about the pressure from her.  Yet, no matter how I wish it now, it is no more.  Time has finally run out with both of them.  

When Mom asked me about gift ideas, I used to tell her, "We will come see you.  That would be enough." I now realize that, actually, was the greatest gift of all and the hardest to come by -- one that I can never have ever again.












Comments

Popular Posts