50/ 65/ 80

We just had a great seminar at Capital Aikikai to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dojo, the 65th anniversary of Takeguchi Sensei in Aikido, and Sensei's upcoming 80th birthday.

In the last class of the seminar, instead of doing a traditional class of him showing a technique for us to imitate and practice, Takeguchi Sensei set up different situations and had us, the attendees, show him what we would do instead.  

To start, he had two ukes, each used two hands to hold one of his wrists on each side.  He demonstrated different ways he could throw the two attackers and get out of their grips.  He, then, had us break out in groups to try our hands.

After we practiced in groups of three for a while, Sensei elevated the situation to a group of four: In addition to the two attackers holding on to the wrists of the nage, another attacker would choke the nage from behind.  We formed new groups and fumbled with that for a while. 

In the last round, in addition to the two wrist holds and the choke from behind, Sensei added a frontal  attack by a fourth attacker.  As soon as Sensei announced the new setup, nervous laughs broke out among the audience.  The volume of chatters was a very good indicator of people's mounting level of anxiety . . . 

I suppose most dojos do not practice chokes often.  Chokes may seem rather intimidating if you are not used to them and do not understand the underlying mechanics.  Therefore, understandably, the exercise made many people rather nervous and uncomfortable.  Thanks to the late Rocky Izumi Sensei, I started learning chokes and how to deal with chokes since I was a beginner.  Even though I had never had to handle four attackers at the same time, I was at least quite comfortable with having someone's arm around my neck.  It is just a matter of how to apply skills and knowledge I already know to deal with this unfamiliar situation.  

In different rounds, I practiced with partners of different backgrounds, skill levels, genders, sizes and shapes. During the process, there were nice surprises with junior students who handled themselves rather well.  With just a little bit of coaching, because they managed to stay calm, they got out of the situation quickly and unharmed.  

To the contrary, a yudansha, who claimed that he knew how to deal with chokes, almost choked himself out.  Because he allowed his emotions to run wild, he responded forcefully to the situation.  After struggling feistily for a while, he had to ask his ukes to let him go.  "I am feeling really lightheaded.  I need to take a breather to rest . . ."

Another yudansha, being held at the wrists and neck, as the fourth attacker was approaching, froze and simply announced, "I don't know what to do.  I'm too scared.  I can't do this."  She wanted out.  I was a bit surprised because this person has similar rank and experience as myself.  I did not expect someone who is an instructor to just freeze and give up.  Given her seniority, she probably knows that you never just stand there passively and do nothing.  At the very least, move your feet, change directions so you are not a stationary target . . . 

Even after the seminar, that scene keeps resurfacing in my mind:  The fear in her eyes, the blank look on her face, and her stiff, straight limbs.  

"What was going on in her mind?" I wonder.  It was a very friendly environment.  Even though people were holding onto each other's wrists and wrapping their arms around each other's necks, nobody really latched on or choked tightly at all.  

"What made her feel so scared to the extent that she became debilitated?"

"Will I ever respond the same way?  What has to happen before I respond the same way?"  I ask myself.  "How do I make sure this never happens with me?"

I got a chance to chat with Takeguchi Sensei after the seminar.  He spent quite a bit of time watching classes when he was not teaching.  

"It was very clear who has come through Capital Aikikai or are taught by my students.  It shows in their basics."  Sensei says.  "It makes me wonder how other people teach basics.  Do other people teach basics?  Nowadays, what I think about is how to convey ideas more effectively."

Sure enough, basics are critical.  They are the building blocks of everything.  Techniques built upon weak basics never work, regardless of speed and strength.  

Nevertheless, I just witnessed how two yudanshas, who supposedly have acquired their moves, ended up in very dangerous situations.  I can almost hear Endo Sensei in my head, "While technical training is vital, the cultivation of one's spirit is just as important."

I cannot help contemplating how we can teach people to better manage their emotions.  If only we could teach someone to not be afraid . . . 






Comments

Popular Posts