Lifesaver

Thanks to a young friend, I found out about a Taiko intro class.  It was an interesting experience.  There are many similarities with martial arts practice.  I can see it as a fun hobby, an exercise as well as a personal growth activity.  Like Aikido, it is something that requires focus and a lot of practice.  I am not sure if I have the time to dedicate myself to it right now. 

Many things in life are interesting and exciting.  Curious folks get captivated easily and we linger around like children in a candy store.  I have gotten older and learned when to walk myself out of the store.  But my little friend seems to have a much harder time.  He often ends up with more candies in his hands than he knows what to do with, not to mention spending way more money and time on these glittery treats than he can afford. 

For a young talented young person, the idea of "I could be doing this" is understandably enticing . . . 

Not long after I became a carver, which is about 15 years ago, I ran into an old lady who teaches violin-making.  She offered to teach me how to make a violin for $3,500.  I was very tempted.  Yet, it was quite a sum of money we were talking about . . .

I was at the point of thinking about a career change.  

"I could be making beautiful violins.  It sounds so cool!  It could be an opportunity.  What should I do?"

After a lot of back and forth, I turned to my carver mentor, Rick Ferry in Seattle.  

I am very grateful for his sage advice.  

"At a certain point in your life, it can be really exciting to see so many options out there.  As a young person, it almost feels that you can do just about anything.  The strange thing is that, at the same time, you may feel like you don't know what to do.  It is very tempting to, then, grab the nearest lifesaver that life tosses at you.  

The problem is: Is it really a lifesaver?  If you are not careful and you reach out to lean on it, it may sink and take you down with it.  

Even if it is a lifesaver, is it the lifesaver you need?  Where is it going to take you?  

Someone offers to teach you how to make a violin.  Sounds exciting, right?  But you don't even play the violin.  Since this is your first violin, the quality may not be very good.  You may not be able to sell it.  Even if you find a buyer, you may not be able to fetch a good price because you are not a known brand name.

The question is:  Are you really looking to become a luthier?  You only become good at making violins by making a lot of violins.  Without practice, whatever skills you have learnt from the one violin will become rusty and eventually vanish.  Are you ready to shore up a bunch of money just for the experience of making a single violin?  

We do not have unlimited resources in life.  Even if you have the money, everybody has limited time.  What would you rather do with your time?  When you are straying around spending your time and money doing these cute things, you are forfeiting other opportunities that can really take you where you wish to go.  Nobody knows where life will take us at the end, but at least we try to set our priorities straight so that we don't get too distracted and end up at the same spot going nowhere fast.

If you truly want to become a luthier, go ahead and good luck.  If not, be patient and look for the right lifesaver before you jump into the water."

Rick had been an important influence in my life.  I had never met him in person.  I only met him through a carver's forum, and he took me on as his mentee.  Unfortunately, liver disease took him from us too soon.

I shared my story and Rick's teaching with my friend.  He became very quiet.  

I am aware that I might have become an old fashioned bore.  I am no fun, not inspirational and just ruined the party for my young friend.  

At the end, it is his path, his decision.  I have honestly shared the advice that served me well.  I wish my friend all the best.






Comments

Popular Posts