The Acrobat on Skis

The annual USAF Summer Camp came and went like a whirlwind.  The five days of practice and gathering with friends have become history.  

To make the most out of the experience, I encourage students to take mental inventory of what transpired: what they like vs what they dislike, triumphant moments and frustrating incidents.  Before their memories fade away, let their experience leave a mark on their journal of growth.  

A young woman who is ecstatic about Aikido expressed her frustrations: The moment she paired up with someone at camp, they opened their mouth and started giving her instructions.

"We just watched the same demo together a moment ago.  I am an intelligent, mature adult.  Why do they think I need an instant translation and re-interpretation by them?  Why don't they even give me a chance to try?"

Her comment brought a sympathetic smile to my face.  🥹

Yeah, I know.  For many years, I have lived through the same thing.  

I started training in my early 20s.  I was developing my skills.  I was unsure about myself.   People who were older, regardless of their own tenure, rightfully jumped in to give me instructions.  Male partners of all ages and ability levels acted like it was their mission to enlighten me the moment we paired up. 

Even at my age, at camp this year, as soon as we engaged, some people rushed to give me instructions.   

Maybe because I look younger than my age?  The irony is that many of these well-meaning partners -- even though they are older than me -- are actually my kohai by rank and/ or by their time-in in Aikido.  

Quite a number of people asked me about my age and how long I have been training.  They were surprised.

"Ah!  No wonder you are this good!" they exclaimed.  

True.  I am no Aikido prodigy.  Everything I can do is due to my hard work for 35 years.

At camp, I made a new friend with Luc Tremblay -- the official videographer of the event.  He is a very experienced circus performer and trainer.  He toured the world with Cirque du Soleil for years.  

Luc told me a funny story:  He went skiing with some friends who were into ski jumping.  Because he had never done it before, he joined the friends' practice.   Being new to the sport, it took him a while to learn to slide down the ramp, do a somersault and then land steadily on his feet  . . .  like, about 5 minutes.  His friends were stunned.  They told Luc about the ski jumping competition taking place the next day.  

"Think about it!  You have until 5pm this afternoon to register," they said.  For the fun of it, Luc did.  To his surprise, he won the competition.  Those who have been doing it for years were really angry and resentful losing to this newbie .  

To Luc, he really felt sorry that he ruined the party for them.  

"What can I do?  I am a circus acrobat.  This is what I do!  Jumping from high places is nothing new.  My body feels very comfortable doing flips in the air.  The only thing I have to learn is to combine it with skiiing.  It is all very natural.

People were upset.  They think I do not deserve the prize because, compared to them, I spent too little time learning ski jumping.  They just failed to recognize that I had been training as an acrobat since I was 11.  My skills did not fall from the sky!"

Don't judge people by their age and gender, or whatever you think up.  You have no idea what they have done behind the scenes to acquire their skills.  Respect their abilities -- even if it may seem to you that they had it easy.  






Comments

Popular Posts