Life is Good

A feel-good story from two years ago today: 
As I walked out of the grocery store, I saw an older couple sitting in their car with the hood up. I went to ask them if someone had been called to rescue them. The man said no, and he believed the battery was the problem. He needed someone to jump start for him. I don't know how to do it, but I said I'd bring my car to help him. Next thing you know, the parking lot attendant came over to help hook up the cars. We let my car run for a while, but there was no sign the other car was starting. A lady who was stranded because my car was blocking the shopping cart ramp came over to help. She figured that the starter was the problem, not the battery. I offered to call my mechanic to come, but he was not picking up. Meanwhile, the older gentleman found someone who would come to save them. So, I resigned myself, wished them good luck and waved goodbye.
I went to another store. Wanted to get some mangoes. The mangoes are big, but seem to have been picked way too early. I grabbed a couple anyways because they are on sale for a really cheap price. It was almost my turn at the register. A lady who was checking out the mangoes with me earlier came running with two good looking mangoes in her hands: "Look! These are much better than the ones you got. They just restocked the bins." I was not sure what she meant. "Are they for me? You brought them for me??" The lady gave me a gigantic smile, "Yes, I picked them for you. They are better. Gimme the other mangoes. I will put them back for you." And she disappeared like a whirlwind with the two rather green mangoes in her hands.
I have met none of the people in this story before today. I don't know their names. I can't even remember their faces. However, I will never forget the kind of goodwill they show and the hope in humanity that they instill in me. What a wonderful world.


Comments

Popular Posts