All in One Word . . .

I love practicing with beginners.  Beginners are like a blank slate: They have no preconceptions.  They do not anticipate.  And they don't know how to fake.  Their responses are genuine.  If you lead them well, they follow your lead; if you do not give clear enough directions, they become confused.  Beginners can be very clear mirrors for those who seek to examine themselves.

I also enjoy the enthusiasm of beginners.  I was once a very enthusiastic beginner myself.  Many times, I pair up with a newbie at practice.  We take turns to each do the technique four times.  Because I am the sempai ("the more experienced student" in Japanese), I get to be nage ("the thrower" in Japanese) first.  Every once in a while, the following happens:

After his four times, the smile on my partner's face gets smaller and smaller.  Eventually, it turns into a frown.  I ask him, "What is the problem?  Are you okay?" My partner looks at me, "We just watched the demo together, but why can't I do what you do?"  This very question always brings a smile to my face because I remember asking that question myself.

I once said to a beginner: "Ya, know, I knew long ago that I would meet you today doing this together.  Therefore, I have been practicing it for a long time before you came.  I cheated."  The nice young man broke into laughter and continued to practice cheerfully.

Another time, it was a personal friend who asked this very same question.  "How many times have you  come to aikido by now?" I asked her.  She stuck out three fingers like a proud little child, "THREE TIMES ALREADY!"  "Wow! THREE times!  That's great!" I smiled, "By the way, do you know how many years I have been practicing aikido?"  She paused and muttered, "You said over 20 years, right?"  "That is correct!  So, even if I practice only once a year, I have been doing it 6 times more than you have!!  And do you know how many times I practice every week?" "How many?"my friend asked.  "FOUR TIMES," I stuck out four fingers in my hand.  "Unless you are super talented or that I am extremely dumb, isn't this normal?  By the way, even if you can do it as well as I can, please pretend you don't.  Otherwise, I may get into fetal position and cry hysterically.  That would be embarrassing."  We had a good laugh.

Occasionally, I also encounter beginners who have too much self doubt.  They tend to apologize for everything, including not being able to perform a technique after seeing it for the first time in their lives.  Just like the enthusiastic beginners, they compare themselves not only to other students, but they also compare themselves to the instructors, ending up feeling frustrated and discouraged.  "I cannot do this.  I just am not good at it.  I will never learn aikido."  I remember someone gave me this conclusion, after her 4th aikido class.

People are born into this world with different talents.  A good actor may be a lousy cook.  A great chef may have a hard time carrying a tune.  Having the smart to get three PhDs does not mean having great potential in martial arts.   Even if you have several black belts from other martial arts does not guarantee that you will excel in aikido.  It is just the way it is.

Quoting Clyde Takeguchi Sensei, here is the secret of aikido: "Practice."




Comments

Popular Posts