No No For A No

One of the many perks of being Clyde Takeguchi Sensei's student is that you get to learn all sorts of interesting stories from him.

Sensei has a PhD.  He came from Hawaii to the US Mainland for his post-graduate studies.  Pretty much wherever he goes, he starts an Aikido dojo, if there isn't already one.  He said practicing and teaching Aikido helped keep his sanity as a busy graduate student.  

Sensei has taught countless Aikido kids classes.  "One semester, I signed up for Children's Psychology" class out of curiosity.  What I found out was that my experience of teaching kids classes has already taught me way more than that course had to offer!" Sensei told me.  He even has a funny story to illustrate it.

"I came up with what I thought was a great class idea for the kids one day.  When I told them the plan at class on Saturday, the kids were all pouty and frowny.  They did not like it at all!"  Sensei recounted, with his hands over his head.  "So, I ask them what they want.  I let them choose.  After some discussions, they have a decision.  I can't remember what they choose, but I give them way more than what they ask for.  I push them to the extreme on what they picked . . .  until they beg me to stop."  I looked at Sensei in awe because I did not know he could be so evil!!!    

With a sly smile on his face, Sensei continued, "Hey, I asked them what they wanted!  I made a suggestion, you don't like it.  I let you choose, now you don't want it.  What do you want me to do?  Sure enough, the kids asked me to go back to my original class idea.  I warned them, and told them to think twice.  At this point, they said they were certain.  They wanted to go back to what I suggested.  We had some really good practice after that."  

"That was a very crafty way of "letting them choose", Sensei!"  "Well, it is always good to be able to say no without actually saying no," Sensei said with a cute little smirk on his face.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why everybody says Takeguchi Sensei is the nicest guy because he does not use the N word.








Comments

Popular Posts