It's A Long Road . . .

Once again, I was sitting around, chatting with students about Aikido and the Aikido journey after Friday practice.

At one point, a young lady turned to me and said, "Look at you, Meipo san.  Me?  I am just a lowly 3rd kyu . . . "

I was quite surprised to hear that from her because I thought she was an outgoing person and she had been doing quite well.  Why would she say such a thing?  Does she really think this way inside???

I guess many of us have had the same experience -- looking at "There" from "Here", and start lamenting how insufficient "Here" is, and wish so much to be "There" instead.

As our dear friend, Chuck, would tell you: once you reach "There", the old "There" becomes "Here".  From the new "Here", you will see another "There".  It goes on and on.  Ultimately, you will find out "There" is no better then "Here".  After all, "Here" used to be the "There" that you were longing for . . .

I turned to my beloved student and reminded her that everybody who is 2nd kyu and up, regardless of how senior they are now, was a 3rd kyu at some point of time.  It is just the level one is for the moment.  It is not the end.  "If a 3rd kyu is lowly, what about a 4th kyu?  A 5th kyu?  How about beginners who hold no ranks?  Are they not worthy?  Do you look down on these lowly people?" I jokingly said.  I saw tears in her eyes, but I am glad she broke into a chortle.

"Aikido is like life.  It is a long journey.  It is easy to get discouraged and feel like you are getting nowhere, but it is not true.  You are making progress every single day. You may not notice it, but you are.."  I looked at the other students who were also present, "Just remember: I was you, and you will be me -- and more.  It is a process.  I am where I am now simply because I started earlier.  You and I, we are no different.  There is no reason to talk down yourself.  You are so much more talented than I am.  Plus, I didn't have me to practice with, but you do.  I am sure you will become better than me some day."

People often ask me why I spend some much time and energy just to teach Aikido.  You are what  keep me going to the dojo day after day.  Thank you, my dear fellow students.




Comments

Popular Posts