It Would Take A Strong Strong Man

Got an inquiry call from a potential new student.  He was referred to us by someone I met years ago at Summer Camp.

Back then, there were not as many women on the Aikido mat.  Having noticed that some bigger man was pushing this small young lady around, I could not help putting myself between them, "She is going to be here all week.  She does not need to be hurt.  Be nice and gentle with her."

To convince this enthusiastic young lady that she deserved to train with everybody at all levels, even though she was very much a beginner, I sought her out to train with her many rounds.  I wanted her to know that more experienced students have lots to learn from beginners, too.

"Yeah, she told me the story.  She speaks very highly of you," the new student said.  I feel very flattered.  I was just doing what I wish someone had done for me when I was a junior student then.  I never imagined this young lady would remember it all this time and send someone to come train with us.

This new student also shared with me the reasons he came to Aikido, "I really want to learn to be more confident.  I have self image issues.  I had some very difficult time when I was young.  I have very low self-esteem.  I have a lot of work to do on myself. . ."

It is refreshing to hear a young man openly, honestly talk about his issues with a stranger like me.  "We all come with our baggages.  We are a product of our upbringing and life experiences.  There is no perfect upbringing.  Therefore, nobody is perfect.  It is okay.  The past is history; we create the future.  Aikido is like a big mirror: You come to the dojo to inspect and examine yourself.  Whichever part you do not like, as long as you are willing to work on it, you may change it.  And we are here to help you."

"I am not the very strong type.  I am not sure if I can do it . . . " the new student worried.

"You don't need to be physically strong to practice Aikido.  Our dojo has a very friendly environment.  We do not tolerate bullying.  Everybody comes here to work with each other and to support each other.  Honestly, it takes more courage to be compassionate and kind than to be a rough bully.  The fact that you are so willing to confront yourself and seek to change, you already showed me how strong you are.  I am very impressed."

I can't wait for this young man to come to the dojo so I can meet him in person.




Comments

Popular Posts