Lesson From The Ninja Turtle

Ever since I learnt that box turtles like to sleep and hibernate underneath piles of leaf litters, I have changed my OCD habit of garden clean up so as to offer them a quiet place to nest in my garden.  Yet, it really freaks me out when, all of a sudden, someone peaks their heads out of some fallen leaves to look at me, as I am working attentively.  Despite their size and short legs, box turtles move  swiftly and rapidly.  They often make surprise appearances in the garden when I am not expecting them.  Sometimes I wonder if they are the real ninja turtles.

One summer, as I was working in the garden, I heard some strange stirring noises nearby.  I turned to look.  Nothing.  No birds.  No squirrels either.  I turned back, and the noise started again.  I quietly rose up to get a better view.  Sure enough, it was a ninja box turtle!

The turtle looked like she was peeking around for food.  "You hungry?  Are you looking for food?  Your order is coming!"  I dashed at lightning speed to gather the best ripen raspberries from the backyard, then spread them out beautifully in front of our most revered guest.  

The turtle slowly raised its head to take a good look at me.  She had a serious look like a grumpy grandmother.  She stared at me for a very long time as if she was vetting me out.  She took a look at the berries and then looked at me again.  She took a couple of steps towards the raspberries to sniff at them a few times.  She checked me out one more time before she finally decided to dig in.  

I cannot describe how elated I was when the turtle was willing to eat my berries.  A human being's offering was accepted by a wild box turtle!  Honestly, I felt honored.  

I must have put more than a dozen raspberries in front of the turtle.  She methodically chowed them down one by one.  It seemed like she liked them.  The juicy berries stained her face real good.  She looked like she had lipsticks on.  I was so enjoying watching her eat.  "I am doing something for nature!  Even the turtle approves of my berries.  I am giving back with my garden!"

But then, after eating maybe five berries, she stopped and started walking away.  "Wait, wait!  There are more!  Don't you like my berries anymore?"  I placed a couple of berries right in front of the turtle.  She just made a detour around them and continued on her way.  

"Why?  What's the problem?  What's not good about my berries?"  I wondered for a moment, but then  it dawned on me that a turtle of her size could not possibly have a stomach that can carry more than half a dozen plump raspberries.  She was full.  That was it.  Since she was full, she went on with her life.

Unlike humans, the turtle is not going to try to stuff herself with things she does not need.  Nor will she try to grab the berries and bring them with her.  She eats when the berries are presented in front of her.  She takes what she needs and leaves the rest.  She will worry about the next meal when she gets hungry again.  She may find some other things later and she will eat them then.  Between now and then, she is not worried.

It is nature's way.  Live in the moment.





Comments

  1. Meipo...you astound me with your insights and writing abilities. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I am a true lover of turtles too and all things in nature as well. Thank you for this tribute to her/him and nature in general.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts