New Year Resolution

It was the second day of the new year.  Festivity was still in the air.  I thought I would enjoy myself by doing my favorite chore: grocery shopping!

There were still many cars from out of town in the parking lot.  Many items were still on holiday sales.  Joyously, I pushed my little cart up and down the aisles, greeting fellow shoppers with their visitors.  It felt like the holidays were not over yet.

As I turned into the "Baking Needs" aisle, two women were coming down side by side.  I stopped to gave them a smile.  The younger woman instantly moved over and got in front of the older woman in order to give way to me.  Just as I was about to say thank you, the older woman barked out loud "OH, EXCUSE US!!!"

Boy, did she look angry.

For a split second, I pondered about talking to the older lady.  Was she mad at me?  About my stopping to smile at them?  Maybe I should clarify my intentions?  But then I saw how embarrassed the younger lady looked.  I got the feeling that any further action from my part might just escalate the situation and make things worse for her.  I kept my smile and said thank you to them as I walked away.

In the store, some aisles are tighter than others.  What I tend to do is to leave my cart a little distance away, walk over to check out those aisles, and then retrieve my cart and move on.  This day, I did just that.

Then, I got to the "Crackers and Cookies" aisle.  Oh, there were the crackers on sale for the week.  But the prices looked different from what I thought I saw on the flyers . . .

I looked into my cart for the flyer, only to find a gigantic bag of assorted crispy snacks on top of everything.  "Oh, people!  Why do they always put weird things into my cart?  How hard is it to identify your own cart?  Argh!"  I pushed the bag aside, but found no flyer.  Instead, I found more unfamiliar items.  "Wait.  Where are my things?  Oh, wait!  Did I just grabbed someone else's cart?  OMG!!!"  I started laughing hysterically as I rushed back to my last stop, and the last stop, and the last stop until I found my cart sitting there patiently waiting for my return.

"Oh, Lord.  Please don't let the owner of the other cart see me." I kept telling myself.  Fortunately, nobody was nearby.  I snuck away with my own cart and pretended nothing had happened.

Grumpy or not grumpy, being presumptuous is being presumptuous.  I really need to be a more attentive person.




Comments

Popular Posts