Nothing Is Ever Wasted

In a previous post [Waste Of Time], I shared stories of how different people decide if they should engage in certain actives or not.  A lot of times, people use "achievement" as the criterion in determining whether an activity is worth pursuing.  Is it a reasonable way of approaching the subject? Or are there other factors that are just as important and should be taken into consideration?

I started tapping when I was almost forty years old.  I never danced before.  I feel stiff and awkward, and I really do not have much talent in tap dancing at all.  By some odd twist of luck, I get to learn from Baakari Wilder -- a current generation tap dance master.  In Aikido terms, Baakari is probably an 8th degree black belt shihan at his prime!  Someone of his caliber really should be traveling all over the place to give master classes and performing for the world.

As his student, I sometimes feel like I am a beneficiary of Baakari's misfortune.  Because of his health condition [Read Baakari's story and watch some amazing tap dance!] and for his family, he stays local most of the time.  Baakari keeps busy in pursuance of his arts.  One of the things he does, however, is to teach a student like me who is too old and not talented enough to help further the dance.  Nonetheless, he always seems happy to watch me grow.  Part of me cannot help thinking: Why is a brilliant teacher like him wasting his time on me?  Shouldn't he be teaching the future stars of tap instead?

Then, I put my Aikido instructor hat on and ask myself, "Aikido teachers also have only limited time and resources.  Should we just focus on high potential students who can carry Aikido into the future?"  Of course it is easy and instantly gratifying teaching gifted students.  But, what about those who are older, not as athletic and not as talented?  Are they not deserving of the opportunity to learn Aikido for the fun, joy and personal growth??  As instructors, should we not give them the same amount of attention and assistance?  Do we only care about the future O Sensei, Tiger Woods and Serena Williams?

I once talk to Andrew Nemr, another tap dance master, about the subject.  Andrew also has been tap dancing since he was a little child.  He has been traveling the world to teach and perform tap dancing.  He even brought the dance onto the stage of TED talks.  "Of course it is important to teach even the people who are not going to be the next Gregory Hines!" Andrew responded without thinking.  "Yes, we need to cultivate people to become the future of tap.  Yet, we need an audience.  We need to continue to have people who appreciate tap as an art form.  So, we teach them and educate them.  Otherwise, who do we dance for?  Without the support, tap would still die.  The dance is for everybody."



You can change a life.
  Please consider becoming an organ donor! 💓


Comments

  1. hi Meipo this is Matt from Aikikai of Philadelphia - thx for working with me at camp - great blog the dance is for everyone

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts